Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It's Not the Destination, it's the Journey

A little background. Christine (Steenie) and I have been friends since the low single digits. (I think 2 and 4, but I could be wrong). Individually, and together, we've gone through some incredible times, some scary times some very happy and some very very sad times. We played and we fought. Then we made up because, well, you have to make up with your best friend. We did the obligatory "grow apart for a couple of years" thing for a while too. Then we got close again. Because, well, that's what you do with your best friend. 

I'm not the person I thought I was going to be when I grew up. Or, at least, I'm not living the life I thought I wanted to. (Not supposed to, I really thought I WANTED to). From a pretty young age I was sure of two things. I was going to get married, and I was going to have children. I never ruled out doing other things, but I always figured in that I wanted to spend some time having and focusing on a family. As such, I was going to be a stay at home mom at least until my children were in high school. I was also going to be a fun, creative mom. And a patient mom. And I was going to be perfectly content in this role - totally fulfilled. Except I don't cook, I don't clean and my mind goes completely blank when my son says "Tell me a story!" (For the record I usually DO tell him some sort of terrible story that he loves - someday he'll figure out my stories were total crap. :)  )  And I got really really sick of being around the kids all day every day, even though I couldn't really admit it to myself for a while.

This year I started my own business. I'm a Real Estate Virtal Assistant and my business is growing. I've actually just brought someone in to work with me so that I can continue to grow. I can work from home but I can also go in and work in the office of the real estate company I'm affiliated with. I like working there. I'm not Mom there. And it's nice to not be Mom for a while. Also, people seem to think I'm pretty good at what I'm doing. Don't tell them, but I'm making it all up as I go along. I always do. Because it really doesn't matter where you THINK you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere different. So I figure I'll make the journey the way I want it to be, and figure out the destination when I get there.

One of my favorite quotes:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOOHOO - What a Ride!"-- Attributed to an octogenarian named Mavis Leyrer, of Seattle

1 comment:

  1. Good start. Honest. I really thought you know what you're doing :). Be sick of being with kids all the time is normal, that's why we have preschool, more love this way.

    ReplyDelete